The Temple of Learning Lalit Narayan Mithila Vishvidyalaya, Darbhanga is an outcome of the cherished desire of the people of this region. Eminent academicians like Dr. Amarnatha Jha, Dr. R.C. Mazumdar, Dr. A. S. Altekar, Dr. Sunit Kumar Chaterjee and many others had expressed their view in favour of the establishment of modern University at Darbhanga. The demand was voiced time and again on the floors of the state legislatures and in the Parliament. On the 27th January, 1947 (Vasantpanchami Day) at a meeting of some of the leading citizens.
Mithila University was established on August 5, 1972 by an Ordinance of the Government of Bihar subsequently enacted through legislatures. The University is governed by the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976. The University was renamed as LALIT NARAYAN MITHILA UNIVERSITY vide University notification No. 6760-7244 dated 28 April, 1980.
The territorial jurisdiction of the University is spread over four districts of Bihar namely Madhubani, Darbhanga, Samastipur and Begusarai. The university has 43 constituent colleges and 25 affiliated colleges besides two government colleges - Darbhanga Medical College & Hospital and Rural Institute, Birouli, Samastipur. 42 constituent colleges and 07 affiliated colleges are registered under section 2 f and 12(B) of the U.G.C. Act, 1956.
The univesity has a picturesque and lushgreen campus spread over an area of nearly 230 acres.
To provide instructions in such branches of learning as the university may think fit including professional studies and technology and to provide for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge.
Education, Training, Employment, Access equal opportunities and all other acts and things as may be requisite in order to further the objects of Art, Science and Other Branches of learning.
Institutions Affiliated to The University
Total Number of Affiliated Colleges - 25
Total Number of Constituent Colleges - 43
|| Total No.
|Liberal Arts, Science and Commerce
The national and international linkages established for teaching
1. Indo-German Collaboration - Department of Botany and Bio-technology
2. CSMC Bhawnagar, Gujrat - Department of Botany and Bio-technology
3. Dept. of Business Administration, University of Albania, USA (MBA)
4. Stochholm University - Department of Maithili
5. ICPR/ UGC - Department of Philosophy
6. Banaras Hindu University - Department of Physics
7. IIT Kanpur - Department of Physics
8. Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai - Department of Zoology
9. IARC, France - Department of Zoology
10. CICFRI, Barrackpore - Department of Zoology
11. ITRC, Lucknow - Department of Zoology